Visit Colmar in Summer Time
IN JULY : INTERNATIONAL MUSIC FESTIVAL
This festival takes place each year. Have a look at the website and book online. Usually at home we go to concerts and the mood is on classical music during this period.
There are also local wine producers who sell wine in the city, and you can buy them by the glass, which is a nice occasion to try them in a very nice place, for 2-5 euros (under the koiffus).
Visit Colmar in summer with a car
DAY 1 – if the weather is fine, you should go for a walk in the mountains. There is a nice website on which you can download a map, it is called visorando, these ones are great– There are farms up there, in which you can eat, just great … bathe in a lake, if warm enough. Come back for an artistic workshop at home at the end of your day. Spend the evening in Colmar, and have a glass of local wine under the Koiffus while waiting for your concert …
DAY 2- go to Fondation Schneider, in Wattwiller. This summer they have a nice exhibition called “l’Atlas des Nuages”. The place is beautiful, and you can walk above, in the mountains. It smells pine trees, the view on the black forest is gorgeous … if you still have time, go and have a look at Abbaye of Murbach, a roman abbaye, like a jewel, surounded by mountains … Spend the evening in Colmar, and have a glass of local wine under the Koiffus while waiting for your concert …
- DAY 3- Go to Freiburg, because water flows in the city, and it is charming when warm. Go early so that you can see the farmers’ market. Cathedral and Augustiner museum … Come back to visit Colmar in the evening. You can stop for a swim on your way back, I’ll show you where.
ON YOUR WAY TO YOUR NEXT DESTINATION have a quick look at the villages around, and why not, go for a boat ride in the swamps that are between Colmar and Strasburg …
WITH PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION ONLY
- THE DAY BEFORE YOUR FIRST NIGHT : live your luggage at the train station and rent a bike there. Go on the wine route. Don’t come back too late for a glass of wine at the koiffus, and a concert.
- DAY 1 : Let’s start with an artistic workshop at home (why not on a subject related to music, or to the temporary exhibition in Musée Unterlinden), then the unterlinden museum which has air conditioning-have your lunch there, next door is good too-rent a bike in the afternoon and go to Eguisheim (I ll give you a map); Spend the evening in Colmar, and have a glass of local wine under the Koiffus while waiting for your concert …
- DAY 2 : go to Freiburg (Germany) either by bus, or by bike+train from Breisach; Spend the evening in Colmar, and have a glass of local wine under the Koiffus while waiting for your concert … this town is beautiful, in the black forest. You’ll cross the Rhine river, and see part of the Kaiserstuhl (“german toscana”)
- DAY 3 : go to Basel (Swisserland), with a swim suit. Any museum in the city center (there are 45 of them), and finish with the Tinguely Museum, where you can even swim in the Rhine river if you’re a good swimmer ; spend the evening in Colmar, and have a glass of local wine under the Koiffus while waiting for your concert …
ON YOUR WAY TO YOUR NEXT DESTINATION : stop in Selestat, and take the bus up to the Haut-Koenigsbourg Castle (a cosy little castle, with a nice view, exactly the castles we dream of in tales)